Meet Gary Blount, our December Athlete of the month!
Gary is one of CFP’s founding members & an all around great athlete! As a former collegiate athlete, Gary took to CrossFit right away! He has really excelled in the gym over the past 7 months. Not only is Gary stronger & leaner than ever, but he is feeling great & loves to tell everyone about CrossFit 🙂 Gary is always willing to cheer on another athlete & to offer his advice. Thanks for being a CFP athlete Gary, we’re lucky to have you!
1. Tell us about yourself in a few sentences. I’m first and foremost a Christ-follower, everything I do is in the attempt to glorify the name of Jesus (not always great at this but I’m a work in progress). Secondly, I’m a husband to my wife of 3.5 years, Stephanie, and father to our 1.5 year old son, Noah. I’m a life-long athlete and professionally I’m a financial advisor, helping people with their long-term financial goals.
2. What do you hope to achieve through CrossFit? I’ve been an athlete for about 20 years now and until recently my athletic career ended 4 years ago with my last season of collegiate football. Other than the occasional trip to the gym or mountain bike ride, I wasn’t doing much in regards to fitness. Being a CrossFit athlete has allowed me to enjoy being an athlete again and feed my competitive nature. Not to mention I’ve lost about 15lbs. and I’m looking more ‘fit’ than I ever have in my life (including my 4 years as a college linebacker).
3. What is your favorite CF exercise? Wall-balls, it’s just a great all around movement – squatting, pressing, throwing.
4. What CF exercise do you least like? Box-Jumps – not easy moving 215lbs. up and down like that.
5. What would you tell someone considering trying CFP? It’s fun!! Seriously, most people view working-out as a chore or to be avoided at all cost. CrossFit isn’t just about improving your fitness level, but I find it as enjoyable as most other sports – baseball, wrestling, football and others I’ve played. Pushing your body to new limits physically, competing against others, and looking/feeling great are things I enjoy – and most others feel the same way once they try it.