Meet our May/June Athlete of the Month – Jorge Armenta!
Jorge & his wife, Libba, joined CFP last fall. Jorge had been an avid mountain biker for years, but knew he needed better conditioning in order to lose the extra unwanted weight he had gained. Jorge started slow & steady, modifying many movements to his ability level. And slow & steady, he has made gain after gain, gotten stronger, faster & more fit! He has lost over 30lbs since starting with CFP, dropped 2 pant sizes & is wearing clothes from his closet he had long forgotten about! Jorge & Libba have 3 small children at home & have continued to make their health a priority despite their busy lives & schedules. We’re so proud of Jorge!! Keep up the good work, the best is yet to come!
1. Tell us about yourself in a few sentences. I grew up playing basketball and have been into mountain biking for years, but this is my first time joining a gym. I stay busy with running a local granite company and having 3 small children at home. I like music, coffee, good beer & sushi. We joined CFP in October 2013 but it took a few months to realize I wanted and needed to come more than 2-3 times a week. That’s when things really got moving.
2. What do you hope to achieve through CrossFit? Now that I’m starting to lose weight and have more energy, it makes me want to eat cleaner and put in even more time at the box. I want keep losing weight, increase my mobility, and keep practicing the discipline of exercising regularly. My current goal is to learn how to run. I ran a full mile in the Saturday WOD on May 10th for the first time I can remember.
3. What is your favorite CF exercise? Power Cleans and really all of the olympic lifting. I carried 600 lb pieces of granite for years, up and down stairs even, but this is the first time I’ve learned to lift heavy things properly. I also like Abmat sit-ups, I’m not really sure why. Am I going to get a 6 pack someday??
4. What CF exercise do you least like? Running. I used to hate burpees, it took me a long time to be able to do a real one. I’m working on liking double unders (does anyone actually like double unders?)
5. What would you tell someone considering trying CFP? Don’t make a decision based on anything you hear or read. You have to experience it to really understand. CFP is for normal people, like me. When I first started, I had to modify every single movement. But as time passes I am able to do more and more. Warren and Michelle are amazing, they keep me motivated and help me to push myself harder every day. You won’t find better trainers.