This recipe is so amazing and a must-have in our house. If you are like me, you could eat Mexican food all the time. The problem is the calories and fat you end up consuming when you got out to eat in the restaurants. This recipe allows you have the taste of Mexican you crave, without those pesky calories!
This is an adapted recipe from PaleoOMG. In this new form, it is more work night friendly and more of a casserole style dish.
Sweet Potato Enchiladas
- 3 sweet potatoes, sliced thin
- 1lb grass fed ground beef
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (4oz) can diced green chiles
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3-4 tablespoons coconut oil
- shredded cheese – optional
- 1 (14oz) can tomato sauce
- ¼ yellow onion, minced
- ⅓ cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brush sliced sweet potatoes with coconut oil and place on a baking sheet. Cook in oven until softened. Remove and cool.
- Once your sweet potatoes are cooling, use skillet to cook your meat on the stove. Add in a bit of oil then add your minced garlic cloves along with your onion.
- When the onion becomes translucent, add in your ground beef along with your green chiles and spices. Let that cook down until cook completely through, using a wooden spoon to break up the ground beef and incorporate all the flavors.
- While the meat cooks, place a saucepan over medium heat for your sauce. Add your tablespoon of oil along with your minced onion.
- When the onion becomes translucent, add your tomato sauce and vegetable broth, as well as all your seasonings. Let that cook down until it thickens just a bit.
- Now once everything is done cooking, you can start layering.
- In an oiled 8×8 glass baking dish, start with sweet potatoes, then put a layer of your beef mixture, then sauce. Continue until done ending with sauce. If you are a cheese eater, sprinkle the top with shredded cheese.
- Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes. Or until heated through and the cheese is melted.
- Cool then eat your heart out!
To cut some of the fat, you can substitute ground chicken or turkey and cut down the amount of coconut oil you use. I hope you all enjoy this one as much as I do!! Click here for the original recipe.