The temps outside are already feeling summer like here in the south & we’re getting a good sweat on daily at the box. So whether the calendar says it’s officially summer or not, it’s pretty darn close! Summertime for many means – lots of travel! Vacations, weddings, family get togethers, weekends at the lake….the list goes on. Don’t let your summer travels wreck all the hard work you’ve been sweating for. Here are some ideas for some Travel WODs while you’re away…
Browse the Internet! The internet is a wealth of knowledge (and other scary things), but between Pinterest and Google, there’s lots of Travel WOD ideas…lots!
- CFP’s Pinterest Travel/At Home WOD board (it’s a little sparse, but a start nonetheless)
- The Traveling WOD – great website with tons of travel WOD ideas – some all bodyweight, some with few “equipment” needed
- Google search “Travel WODs”
- Pinterest search “Travel WODs”
Keep It Simple Stupid!
Do you have a kettlebell at home? Any dumbells? Those tend to be relatively small & travel well (especially by car) so take them along on your next trip for any of the following movements:
- KB: Swings, Clean & Presses, Snatches, Deadlifts, Sumo Deadlift High Pulls, Strict Press, Push Press, Push Jerks, Goblet Squats, Front Squats, Thrusters, Suitcase Carries, Farmer’s Carries (if 2), Waiter’s Walks, Weighted Walking Lunges, Step-ups (with make-shift box), etc
- Dumbbells: see all of the above, man makers (if 2), etc
If you don’t have any “equipment”, it’s fine, you really don’t need any! All you really need is your body:
- Air Squats (jump squats, pistols, tempo)
- Plank (elbow, push-up, side, hollow)
- Lunges (jumping lunges, skater lunges)
- Jumps (vertical, tuck, make-shift box)
- Pushups (hand release, handstand, incline, plyo)
- Mountain Climbers
- Sit-ups (tuck sits)
- Floor Conditioning (hollow holds/rocks, arch holds/rocks, superman/back extensions)
Get creative! Use the space where you are – hotel, beach, lake, etc & go explore what’s around you. You can do intervals, AMRAPS, rounds, descending or ascending ladders, go on a jog & stop every 2 minutes to do a bodyweight movement, go for a swim, etc. The possibilities are endless!
If you try out a good travel WOD, be sure to post it to our CFP FB page so other’s can share in your fun. Don’t let summer travel keep you from getting your WOD on! Happy sweating athletes 🙂